Monday, 5 August 2013

Keep Tradition Afloat!



Globalization has always and will always be an ongoing process and phenomenon that is constantly upgrading and shifting into the needs of many societies. 'Technological changes and their ramifications contribute to the impression that globalization is inevitable’ (Nederveen 2004, p.10) the impact of globalization has caused infrastructure development, economic expansion, political integration, and much more. Leading economic power houses like the US and the UK dominate the global market and continue to influence surrounding nations with their materialistic, white collar, or the 'American dream' ideologies. Globalization however I fear is eroding and slowly but surely removing those nations who try to resist the impact of such a powerful influence.  One thing globalization has taught me, was to appreciate those who at least try to resist. When we think of those who choose a modest life, those who live in places away from industrialization, technology, high-rise buildings, and fast food restaurants, we wonder how they do it? As an expat living in Samoa more than a decade ago, I was able to visit remote villages away from modernized areas. 






I find it so fascinating that even though, many of the indigenous population of Samoa were largely forced to accept the infiltration of the British, some maintained and hung on to their traditional values (Akeli 2009, p.321). The simplicity of their life is UN canning. They are not bothered with the latest gadget, or home appliance. Their culture consists of traditional values. They are in no rush. They do not have to keep up with the demands of society, like most of us in modernized societies do.  They cannot care less about the evolution of the world.  As I reflect on my own culture, I can learn a lot from their ways of living. I have become so dependent on modernization. I have been influenced into thinking and behaving a certain way. I am actually impressed by their way of living. It has made me think back and realize that my life is one big rush to get from A to B. There is no medium ground. The consensus of Globalization is that most of us are flourished with luxury. But then I thought, the greatest luxury of all would be able live our lives the way we want, no rush, no deadline, no demands, and not be silently dictated by the effects of the inevitable impact of globalization. 


Reference List
Courtesty of Google Images

Akeli S, 2009, ‘The Warm Winds of Change: Globalization in Contemporary Samoa’ Journal of the Polynesian Society, Vol. 119 Issue 3, p.321.

Nederveen Pieterse, J 2004, ‘Globalization: consensus and controversies’, Globalization and culture: global mélange2004, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Lanham, p.10.

9 comments:

  1. I liked your stance regarding the resistance of remote people and cultures. Anecdotal information is always a plus when writing globalisation related posts, as it offers insight by means of an experience that is shared. However, I don’t believe that cultures like Samoa will be “removed” or segregated from the rest of the world. A culture or country does not simply become ‘removed’ because they ‘resist’ globalisation. There are many mitigating factors when addressing globalisation; and the notion of cultures being completely absorbed by western ideologies and corporations is ignorant. Another point of interest would be correcting the spelling and grammar errors that are present within your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamsin,

    I really enjoyed reading this as I shared an identical experience with you while living in Samoa. I love how you used your experience to correlate with this weeks blog topic. The notion of globalisation is a fascinating one, whether it creates positive or negative impacts on a culture or community affected. I am particularly begrudged by the previous comment on this blog. Since living in Samoa, I know how globalisation has in fact altered many traditional cultural flows and values through out the tiny islands. The fact that one of the major islands of Samoa is called 'American Samoa', signifies the impact globalisation has had. We can also identify how the country was influenced by the religious faculty 'The latter Day Saints- brought in by foreign empires and imposed on the entire nation- and how heavily this has altered the traditional way of life in Samoa. To be called - i quote 'ignorant', would assume that you have not lived, breathed and witnessed the impact of globalisation in this arena. I am sure during your time in Samoa, you were aware of the resistance from traditional, tribal communities. This is of course a natural process and sadly a consequence of globalisation. The above comment seems to attack you based on information you did not even submit in your post. Additionally, in response to the above comment on 'grammar and spelling errors'. You did a great job and I do realise this is not in fact a literary masterpiece but a blog post that may have been written in haste. All in all, i loved your work. Keep it up !!

    Olivia N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed most in your blog that you write about the cons of globalisation and the need for there to be some resistance from it. The imagery that you have in your story shares your personal experience in Samoa with the reader, because I have never been there the photo makes it easier for me to relate to what you are writing about the Samoan simplistic lifestyle. It is refreshing to read that there are still communities out there who are not bothered by the modernised lives which most of us just assume to be the norm. You’re last sentence is the best of the blog and wraps your point up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tamsin, interesting blog. Most people would not think twice to resist globalisation because it is no natural to us and has become such an integrated part of our society. I liked that you wrote about your own first-hand experience of witnessing people that were not obsessed with having the best and latest version of everything, instead they were more concerned with just living their lives. It’s interesting to note that there may be draw backs on globalisation that have not been considered. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tamsin, interesting blog. Most people would not think twice to resist globalisation because it is no natural to us and has become such an integrated part of our society. I liked that you wrote about your own first-hand experience of witnessing people that were not obsessed with having the best and latest version of everything, instead they were more concerned with just living their lives. It’s interesting to note that there may be draw backs on globalisation that have not been considered. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tamsin, interesting blog. Most people would not think twice to resist globalisation because it is no natural to us and has become such an integrated part of our society. I liked that you wrote about your own first-hand experience of witnessing people that were not obsessed with having the best and latest version of everything, instead they were more concerned with just living their lives. It’s interesting to note that there may be draw backs on globalisation that have not been considered. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tasmin

    Great blog, western culture tends to neglect such civilizations and communities in mainstream media which can lead to a lack of development in globalisation as it is so far removed from the western world. The blog is concluded nicely, with your comparison to their way of living and its simplicity. A great lesson can be learnt from this as you stated. I must also disagree with Oliver's comments regarding globalisation. If a society resists globalisation, then they are removed from the rest of the world as they are not sharing and experiencing the same innovations as other parts are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tasmin

    Great blog, western culture tends to neglect such civilizations and communities in mainstream media which can lead to a lack of development in globalisation as it is so far removed from the western world. The blog is concluded nicely, with your comparison to their way of living and its simplicity. A great lesson can be learnt from this as you stated. I must also disagree with Oliver's comments regarding globalisation. If a society resists globalisation, then they are removed from the rest of the world as they are not sharing and experiencing the same innovations as other parts are.

    ReplyDelete