Monday, 12 August 2013

The Counterfeit Economy


Sharing music files has somewhat, become a norm in today's society. Going onto websites such as kickasstorrents, or one channel, give people the opportunity to download music, movies, and much more at the click of a button. Many commodities around the world get copied and distributed without the recognition of the original supplier of those products. When I think about my trips to China and Florence, I remember markets filled with the latest copy of handbags ranging from Channel, Coach and Burberry. You could purchase designer wallets, perfumes or pens. Anything you wanted it was there, supplied in mass quantities from all the designer labels.  Even though I believe that all designer products are ridiculously overpriced and glorified, I do believe that taking a persons idea, without proper recognition of that product, is stealing. The production and distribution of counterfeit goods is a multi-billion dollar global problem that has caused serious economic  problems for consumers, businesses and governments. I still remember returning home from Florence with  a new counterfeit Coach bag, and having it removed from me when I came through customs in Australia.  Many Organisations use copyright, which is a legal concept to protect and to accredit the copyright holder of their work. However, those that violate this legal concept are causing immeasurable damage and effecting the sales of an organisations legitimate goods and services. 




                                                          Courtesy of Google Images
                                                            Courtesy of Google Images


The Counterfeit Economy is estimated to be worth about 8% of the worlds trade and 'and is worth an estimated 475 billion a year (International Anti-counterfeiting Coalition, 2008)' (Michaelidou & Christodoulides,  p.977). It is a hard industry to not get sucked into.  I mean paying 50 dollars for a 400 dollar bag, that looks the same and feels the same, seems like the way to go.  I have bought numerous counterfeit goods, and downloaded music illegally. 'File–sharing, according to the industry, is unfair to recorded artists, because they have intellectual property rights in proprietary recordings’ (Martin, Moore, Salter 2010, p.1).  However, many policies have been put to action to try and liquidate the counterfeit economy. Martin, Moore, and Salter discuss the concept 'devaluation and validation'. The Music industry try to devalue those responsible for distributing and downloading music illegally by recognizing them as criminals, and no better than those who raid banks. This tactic is there to scare those responsible for file sharing, and risk heavily penalization. I must admit, it is very intimidating, and I always think twice before clicking the download or share button. However, 'File–sharing participants are validated when they are humanized — given faces, motivations and personal details — and shown to be behaving like anyone else, namely not like criminals’ (Martin, Moore, Salter 2010, p.1).  Therefore if well respected people are validated, and support file sharing, the cycle of supplying and distributing counterfeit goods and services will continue. This is because it means that people will respect the validated individual and may follow in his steps towards the support of file sharing, and the distribution of counterfeit goods. 

Reference List



Courtesy of Google Images

N. Michaelidou, G, Christodoulides, 2011 Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. 27, No. 9/10, p. 976


Martin, B, Moore, C and Salter, C. 2010, ‘Sharing music files: tactics of a challenge to the industry’, First Monday, vol. 15, no. 1

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this blog and thought that you kept on topic and said what you wanted to say in a very succinct manner. I completely agree with what you say about file sharing at the beginning of your blog with saying it is become a completely normal thing to do. Nobody thinks about the consequences of their actions. I enjoyed how you put your own experiences into the blog which demonstrates you know the topic that you are writing on. Your point about humanising file sharers is an interesting idea. Very good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tamsin!

    I also really enjoyed reading your blog post. I thought it was very well written and captivating. To be honest I think it is my favourite post I have read so far! I loved how you incorporated your own experience of purchasing a counterfeit item and having it taken away at customs. That is crazy! You mentioned always thinking twice before hitting the download button, I find this very relatable! I am always a little hesitant before I download music or a television show.

    The pictures displayed really show how simple and accessible counterfeit goods are! It is evident that your post is clearly well researched, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    Great post! Very easy and enjoyable to read, you have used a good tone that is light but still appropriate. I also really like how you focused on counterfeit fashion as your example, as this is extremely similar to downloading music. As a reader I am also able to relate to purchasing counterfeit products as my student allowance certainly doesn't allow me to shell out $600 on a bag. The use of your own experiences from China and Florence also personalise the post a bit more and make for more of an interesting read. My only critique however would be to perhaps apply the act of devaluation to a particular case. Perhaps you could have found a situation where individuals of counterfeit factories have been devalued? Overall, a pretty good post!

    - S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey tam!

    Once again, you have produced a great blog post. I love how you incorporate your experiences into the weekly blog topics as this only emphasises your arguments. The notion of copyright is a tricky one. I am of course guilty of downloading music and movie files for entertainment without paying a single sent for them. Though it is frowned upon, it is very convenient. I can relate to your experiences as I have experienced them with you. It was very eye opening to see how large the counterfeit market is on a global level.

    Loved your post, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tamsin,

    Great post, I loved how you incorporated your personal experiences as it helped me further understand your take and argument on the topic. I can relate to the markets you mentioned as vendors in my hometown do the same and have huge market places where they sale counterfeit products. Even when police have tried to prevent this, they still find a way of coming back to sell them. I sometimes tend to wonder why customs allow the products in the country. Some of the products they sell look exactly the same as the originals while others clearly look very different and are easily noticed as fake. Just like you, I have also been a culprit of downloading free movies and music and also buying cheap designer products because I didn't think I'd spend $1000 on a simple handbag. As much as there is so much piracy going on, I feel like it's been taken too far especially if I look back at so many pirated products I've seen on the market like 'double sim iPhones or blackberrys'. Such things make me think twice about purchasing a fake item.

    I must say I'd concur with Amy's comment on this being one of the best blog posts so far as it has been best I've read thus far.

    Keep it up! x

    ReplyDelete