Due to the innovation of new technologies, the media
landscape has expanded its volume and gives people the opportunity to be
updated on current events, and be socially connected with friends and
family. Blogging and other social
networking platforms has become some of the perks introduced by the rapid
expansion of the Internet. The
blogosphere strives to provide worldwide connectivity and have become a vehicle
‘for worldwide interactions and the formation of the global Muslim Community’ (Lim
2012,p.127). This is especially
important as it gives different Indonesian Muslim subcultures the opportunity
to discuss topics of mutual interest.
Lim argues that the blogosphere has opened up a range
of new communicative channels to discuss things like music, to the relevance
and importance of their mutual religion.
Blogging as I see it, is a platform in which you share your life events
and are kind of admittedly like an online diary. However it has become much
more than that. I believe it has become a vehicle of self-empowerment. It is
giving Muslim communities in Indonesia the ability to become politically
involved and to express alternative views. Lim discusses that Blogging could
become a powerful tool that ‘could empower political movements that can move Muslim societies
toward democratic values and governance’ (Lim 2012, p.130). However I
feel there is a long way to go to enable this view to become a reality.
courtesy of google images

courtesy of google images
I would not necessarily agree that the blogging
arena in Indonesia promotes democracy, but the fact that so many important
political agendas are discussed and dispersed around the blogging subculture
enabling a freedom to contribute to the discussion effecting them. I closely believe, in my opinion, that all
people deserve the right to a democratic state, however some countries like Indonesia
still needs to evolve and adapt to the ways of a democratic modern society. The
introduction of the blogosphere is the pathway to potentially introduce
democratic values and governance to Indonesia. Even though gatekeepers of the Internet
in Indonesia do try to regulate the content on the Internet, it is perceived as
being a liberated platform in contrast to other types of media channels. My
stance on the importance of the blogosphere is indefinite. It has created a
global media platform enabling people to engage in areas of mutual importance.
Lim, M., 2012 ‘Life is
Local in the Imagined Global Community: Islam and Politics in the Indonesian
Blogosphere’, Journal of Media and Religion, vol. 11, p.127, 130)

It is really inspiring that you give an example about democracy in Muslim communities in Indonesia to explain how blogosphere could help to improve the country as well as the welfare of the people. Both the structure and content are good. Moreover, I like the two photos you have posted in your blog to show that how flourish blogging is in the world. The whole blog is easily to follow and rich in ideas. I believe that not only blogosphere could help in democracy, the fields such as arts, people’s welfare, employment are needed to be discussed openly in the society to help improve the country.
ReplyDeleteReading this post I notice that there are a few continuity flows, mostly around the beginning. I think that you maybe should have re-read this a few more times before posting, it probably would have been beneficial if you changed some words around too. Sorry!
ReplyDeleteDespite the flow, I think the information that you provided is very insightful. You spoke about your own general opinion to readers but you also provided the facts and referenced back to Lim (2012) which was good. Next time make sure you do a thorough read through before posting, otherwise good! Well done.